Wednesday 11 July 2012

Some Nights

I've had two full days of my intensive classes at university, focusing on what it is to be a professional, and more importantly, a professional teacher. On Monday, we brainstormed ideas together about what sort of qualities defined a 'good' teacher, and looked into the AITSL standards (a set of national standards that describes the qualities, skills and knowledge that qualified teachers need to possess). On Tuesday, we dissected popular cultural representations of teachers by watching a whole lot of teacher-related YouTube clips (Summer Heights High, Dead Poet's Society, The Simpsons) and spent some time coming up with a personal teaching philosophy. Two principles came in and talked to us about the inevitable job application process. Both highlighted how important it was to clearly articulate your personal approach to teaching, and provide clear evidence as to how you act out your teaching values in the classroom.

So, there I was on Tuesday afternoon, with a blank page in front of me, trying to summarize one measly aspect of what I believed about how students learned for my 'personal teaching philosophy.' This was my chance, I thought, to really hit on why I wanted to be a teacher, why I was passionate about working with teenagers, all the values that I thought were important to teach them. This was my chance to get it all out.

Nothing. Not even a few words.

Writing a personal teaching philosophy is flipping hard. I realized at that point that, like the song I've been hearing on the radio, I'm not sure what I stand for. In my personal life, sure. But in this new, unknown professional life? I don't even know where to begin. Do I believe in single sex or co-education? Which educational or psychological theorist aligns most closely with my own beliefs? Should I be authoritarian or relaxed? Do I believe a school should teach values or allow students to make their own? How do students learn? What is my role in the classroom? Can I be a role-model for teenagers? Do students learn better through hearing, seeing or doing? Or a combination of all three?

So much to ponder, as there always is in the beginning. But I'm hopeful of this process helping to reveal more about what my philosophy is. But first, I think as a start I'm going to read over the AITSL standards more closely and see if I can see where they match up with things I'm already enacting.



1 comment:

  1. It's hard to come up with a teaching philosophy - I remember having to do the same in my fourth year, and one day it just came to me (and now I can't remember it). By now it's probably changed anyway!

    Keep it up though - I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete